In March 2020, the Town of Ithaca adopted a Green New Deal by unanimous vote. The Green New Deal goals summarized below replaced the previous GHG reduction goals.
Town Community Goals
For example, homes, businesses, and transportation town-wide.
- Achieve an equitable transition to carbon-neutrality Town-wide by 2030
The Town has committed to the following equity principles in the implementation of the Green New Deal:
- Ensure that processes are fair and inclusive in the development and implementation of programs and policies
- Ensure that benefits and burdens of policies and programs are distributed fairly
- Institutionalize accountability processes and implement programs that sustain positive outcomes
Government Operations Goals
For example, facilities, vehicle fleet, and water treatment.
- Meet the electricity needs of Town government operations with 100% regionally sourced renewable electricity by 2025
- Reduce emissions from the Town fleet of vehicles by 50% from the 2010 levels by 2025