The Domestic Registry confers no legal benefits. It is a mechanism for you to declare yourselves to be in a committed, loving, and supportive relationship. You will receive a Certificate of Domestic Partnership that some entities may accept as proof of a domestic partnership for such things as health insurance coverage, banking needs, and medical situations.
To apply, both applicants must appear together at the Town Clerks’ Office and declare, under penalty of perjury, that you fulfill all the following requirements:
- You are not related by blood closer than would bar marriage in New York State
- Neither of you is married
- You are 18 years of age or older
- You are competent to enter into a contract
- You are each other’s sole domestic partner
- You currently share and have shared a primary residence for a minimum of 12 months and intend to for the indefinite future
- You are in a relationship of mutual financial and emotional support, are caring and committed to each other, and are responsible for each other’s welfare
- You are financially co-dependent.
The cost of the Certificate of Domestic Partnership is $20.
Proof of Domestic Partnership
Applicants must submit at least two forms of proof indicating that they are in a domestic partnership. Any two forms of proof are acceptable:
Common Household Expenses
Joint Bank Account
Joint Vehicle Ownership
Title showing both names
Showing one partner as a dependent
Joint Credit Card
Statement with both names
Joint Obligors on Loan
Note or other loan origination document with both names
Joint Ownership of Residence
Joint Custody of a Child
Copy of will(s) showing the other as beneficiary and/or executor
Copy of policy with one party naming the other as beneficiary
Copy of beneficiary designation form with one party designating the other as beneficiary
Health Care Proxy
Copy of health care proxies/living wills, designating the other party with the power to make health care decisions upon incapacitation.