The Town of Ithaca Public Works Department will be picking up yard waste (brush, leaves, pine needles, dead flowers, garden waste, and grass clippings) starting Monday, April 17th, and will and continue throughout the Town that week until finished. All yard waste must be at the roadside by 7 a.m. on the first day of collection.
THERE WILL BE NO SECOND COLLECTION AND NO CALL BACKS.
The intention of the Town’s roadside collection service is for Town residents outside the Village of Cayuga Heights and the City of Ithaca to put a reasonable amount of yard waste (as is generated during a normal year) out at the roadside for pick up by the Town’s crews. Clearing of building lots and hedgerows is beyond a normal amount of material. Roadside collection crews reserve the right to not pick up excessively large volumes of brush and improperly piled materials.
Please note that our crews do not use leaf vacuum machines for spring leaf pick up, therefore, no loose piles will be picked up. Also, no plastic bags will be picked up.
Brush you collect before the first day of the pickup needs to remain out of the rights-of-way until a couple of days before the pick up; this will assure your safety and that of your neighbors. Errant brush piles can wreak havoc on the storm water systems and can create a hazard for walkers and cyclists.
You may also drop your yard waste off at the Public Works Facility at 106 Seven Mile Drive, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. through 2:30 p.m. year round. Please first sign in at the office.
WHAT TO DO
· Bag leaves, garden and other yard waste in biodegradable paper bags. Fill bags and place on road shoulder. Fold over openings of bags to close – do not staple or tape. 30-gallon bags are available at Agway, Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, and Wegman’s along with other stores in the area.
· Brush should be placed in neat piles going with the flow of traffic so that the chipping trucks can feed the cut ends first.
· Brush piles should be no larger than a pickup truck load (approximately 2’ H x 4’ W x 8’ L in size). It is not necessary to cut limbs into small pieces.
· Put out limbs no larger than 8 inches in diameter.
· Place brush and filled bags of yard waste along road shoulder or at the end of the driveway if no shoulder exists.
WHAT NOT TO DO
· Do not tie bundles of brush.
· Do not place any materials in a ditch.
· Do not put out metal, rocks, glass, roots, stumps, or lumber scraps.
· Do not put brush and leaf bags out until the week before collection.
For more information, please call 273-1656 between 6:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Quick News >