Did you know that New York State Law stipulates that property owners are responsible for their taxes and any penalties, whether they receive a tax bill or not.
Where to pay your bill
The Ithaca Town Hall is located at 215 N. Tioga Street, Ithaca, NY 14850.
§ Pay bills in person with cash, check, or money order Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. When Town Hall is closed, payments can be placed in the drop box located to the left of the Buffalo Street entrance. The drop box is checked every morning when Town Hall opens.
§ Send a check or money order to Town of Ithaca Receiver of Taxes. The postmark date is used to determine whether a payment is on time or late.
§ Pay bills online with an electronic check or with Visa or Master Card. Site fees are charged in the amount of $2.50 for electronic checks and 3% on the base tax amount for credit cards.
Tax bills are mailed out during the last week of December. No payments will be accepted before January 1st. Postdated checks will not be honored.
Installment payment option:
§ Jan 1. – Jan. 31: 1st installment payments are due to the Town. Payments made after the 31st are due IN FULL with no exceptions (see “Full payment option” below for penalties).
§ Feb. 15 – Jul. 1: 2nd installment payments are due to the Tompkins County Finance Department at 125 E. Court Street (607-274-5545).
Full payment option:
· Jan. 1 – Jan. 31: Tax bill payments are accepted without penalty.
· Feb. 1 – Feb. 28: 1% penalty is added to the base tax amount.
· Mar. 1 – Mar. 31: 2% penalty is added to the base tax amount.
· Apr. 1: Payments received by the Town of Ithaca on or after this date will be mailed back to the owner. Unpaid tax bills are turned over to the County for collection by April 10th.
· Apr. 15 – Jul.1: Tax bill payments are due to the Tompkins County Finance Department at 125 E. Court Street (274-5545). Penalties will be applied to the base tax amount. Please call for the actual amount due.Name Changes:
Please call Tompkins County Assessment at 607-274-5517.
How Do I? >