When do I need a building permit?

Most work other than paint and floor coverings will require a building permit.  Section 125-4 of the Town Code has a list of exempted work. The staff at the Building and Zoning Department are happy to help you with questions on what activities require a building permit.  Contact them at  273-1783, Monday-Friday, 8AM-4PM. Phone calls are promptly returned. The Zoning Ordinance can be purchased through the Town Clerk's Department and available for download. Building Permit Applications are available through the  Code Enforcement Department at Town Hall or you can download them from the Forms page.

Do I need a building permit to reside or reroof my house?

Yes, the re-roofing application form can be used.

Which application form do I need to use to build a deck?

The full application must be used for deck construction.  The plans must include details on footers, framing, railing, steps, and lighting.

What Building codes and Land Use Regulations apply to the Town of Ithaca?

Notices of Adoption

Rules Amending and Updating the Uniform Code and Energy Code

Please take notice that New York State has adopted the 2020 Uniform Code Collection that will take effect on May 12, 2020


The codes that will be in effect on and after May 12, 2020 are as follows:


Any project that are submitted after May 12, 2020, will need to be designed in accordance with the 2020 Uniform Code Collection. Any complete project application submitted prior to May 12, 2020 will be reviewed and inspected to the 2015 ICC Code Collection and the 2017 NYS Code Supplement

The NYS Fire Protection and Building Codes, the Town Zoning Ordinance and other local laws including but not limited to a Noise Ordinance and Property Maintenance Law. All local laws are available through the Town Clerk's Department. Information about NYS codes are available through the NYS Division of Code Enforcement and Administration's website:  http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/ls-codes.html.

 Another valuable site is the Southern Tier Building Officials Association